Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Challenges in Marketing


Challenges in Marketing


            As a newly published fiction writer, I am facing some real challenges in marketing Lies That Bind.  Let’s face it.  I am a Social Psychologist.  I’m interested in most aspects of social institutions.  Yes, I wrote a love story, but it wasn’t a formula love story.  That love story was set in a strong social setting.  Part of my motivation was to give people caring for loved ones with disabilities a message of hope and affirmation.

            My publisher classed the book as general fiction.  A scientist from England classed the book as a techno thriller and romance.  A friend connected to the state department thought it was excellent political commentary on the conditions in third world countries.  It is also an excellent depiction of the position people with disabilities hold in society whether it is North American or buried deep in a third world country.  A fellow poodle owner loved the dogs and insisted that hers was just like the dogs in Lies That Bind.

            I’ve had to explain to a few people that my portrayal of President Jake’s libido was accurate.  A charismatic man of his age in a position of power, responsibility and high stress is going to seek sexual release more often than most of our husbands.  I laugh and confess that yes, once upon a time I taught Dirty Two-thirty—Sociology 230, sex ed.  Hint:  This is why so many politicians get caught with their pants down.  My experience teaching that class helped with writing the sex scenes.

            As I try to market, I keep getting forced toward a specific gender.  My video is definitely romantic.  I don’t want to loose my caregivers by insisting the book is a romance novel.  What about the techno-thriller types?  I thought the book would appeal to women more than men.  I did include helicopters, explosions, football and sex just to capture the male audience.  I get way more enthusiastic feedback from men than from women.  Men love the politics.  They love the techno-mystery.  I suspect they identify with my strong male hero, President Jake.

            So, at the end of the day, how am I going to market this work?

1 comment:

  1. With some difficulty. Bookstores have only four fiction shelves, Romance, mystery, science fiction/fantasy and "everything else". I think you want to be on the "everything else" shelf, because dyed in the wool fans of the other genre's seldom look on any other shelf.

    ReplyDelete